(Fort McMurray) Girls Inc. of Northern Alberta and Syncrude are proud to announce the winners of the Girls Inc. Women of Inspiration Education Scholarship for 2012-2013.
The three -$5000 scholarships are being awarded to female students from the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, who are pursuing a post- secondary education, be it through college, university or technical/trade school.
This year’s scholarships are being awarded to:
Ashlesha graduated from Westwood High School in June 2013. Her passion is science and research and her 90% grades have earned her acceptance to the University of Alberta. She will work towards her BSC and then on to Medical School. Ashlesha hopes to continue her interest in scientific research through participation in independent research work at University. She feels that she can be a role model for young girls by demonstrating that women can achieve anything.
Ashlesha’s community involvement has included;
- Being VP for the Colours Club at Westwood
- Being a student council representative
- Being a part of Project Kenya – a project that raised funds to build schools in Kenya
- Volunteering for the Northern Lights Region Health Authority
- Volunteering for the RMWB and working with youth to help them see the value in preserving the environment
Ashlesha’s commitment to her community and her impressive academic grades make her an obvious scholarship winner.
Cassandra will be pursuing her Bachelor of Education. She has attended Keyano College and Grant MacEwan College –with a goal of attending Graceland University in the USA. Her career goal is to become a High School Math and Science teacher and to coach sports and theatre in her spare time. Cassandra’s passion is sports and softball in particular. She has played competitively
And played in the 2010 Alberta Summer Games representing Zone 7. She was invited to try out for midget A team in Alberta. After an injury, she feared her sports career was over but after surgery and rehab on the injury, she persevered. Cassandra shares her passion for sports by coaching Fort McMurray Minor Softball Association.
While attending Keyano College, Cassandra worked as Peer Tutor in the Skills Centre – where she helped students with math and science. She enjoyed it so much that her dream of being a math and science teacher was born.
Cassandra’s community volunteer work included:
- Father Mercredi Santa’s Anonymous
- Santa Claus parade volunteer
- Miracle Marathon
- Cassandra is a well- rounded young woman and enjoys theatre and the arts.
- Cassandra is looking forward to attending University in the States – playing collegiate softball and earning her Bachelor of Education. She feels she is a strong role model for young girls by overcoming her injury and never giving up her dreams.
Anam is the 3rd scholarship winner. Anam’s goals include attending the University of Alberta in a General Engineering program and then on to the University of Waterloo for Mechanical Engineering.
Anam graduated Westwood in June 2013. Anam hopes to use her mechanical engineering education and a Masters in Business to work towards integrating engineering into health care. She wants to work on projects to design devices which can improve the quality of life for the ill and disabled.
Anam’s Community involvement includes:
- Project Kenya
- Student council
- VP of Student Body of Science at Westwood
- Tutored grades 3-10 in math and science
- Winner of Words In Motion
- Volunteer NLRHA –worked with disabled child
- Accepted into WISEST (Women In Scholarship, Engineering, Science and Technology at U of A.
- Job shadowed engineers on worksites
- President of Westwood Robotics Club – only female member
Anam managed to balance her volunteering while maintaining a 90 plus grade level.
Girls Inc. of Northern Alberta are proud to help these amazing young women pursue their career goals. We are honoured to be able to be a small part of their development into the next generation of Inspirational Women.
For more information about the Women of Inspiration series or the Educational scholarship, please visit our website at www.girlsincofnorthernalberta.org or contact the Girls Inc office at 780-790-9236.
For more information, please contact:
Executive Director, Girls Inc of Northern Alberta