We kicked off home-based spring programs last week, just in time for Earth Day.
Our first mentoring session took place the day before Earth Day offering a great opportunity for both age groups (6-8 & 9+) to discuss what we can do to keep the earth healthy, happy and safe for ourselves and future generations.
We looked at 5 different concerns/topics:
- global warming
- pollution on land & sea
- water scarcity
- and lack of biodiversity
The 6-8 group finished the session with an activity that allowed us to think of 10 ways we can all help to keep the planet safe:
The 9+ age group created an Earth Day stained glass window hanging using tissue paper, glue and wax paper.
Here are some of the actions the girls came up with to help the planet:
- Turn the lights off when you’re not using them
- Create less food waste
- Plant flowers (for the bees)
- Thrift & donate old toys
- Grow your own veggies/fruits in gardens
- Ride my bike more instead of driving
- Tell my friends and family about Earth Day
- Turn the water off when I’m brushing my teeth
- Clean up my neighbourhood trash
What are some actions you take the keep the planet healthy and happy?
Let us know by emailing email@example.com