Girls Incorporated® of Northern Alberta is looking for volunteers and mentors. Volunteers aid us in successfully reaching our goal of inspiring all girls to be 'Strong, Smart and Bold' throughout the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo. Volunteers have the power to have an enormous impact on the girls in our community and within our programs.
There are many ways that volunteers can become involved with our organization. We are looking for volunteers to be guest speakers for programs, help out with our fundraising events or even joining our Board of Directors. You can also apply to become a Mentor in our Girls Inc. Staying Strong Mentoring Program.
Become a Girls Inc. Volunteer
Become a Girls Inc. Mentor
We ask that individuals interested in our Staying Strong Mentoring Program submit a Mentor Registration Form so we will understand what skills you have and what vision you would like your volunteer experience to be like. The Staying Strong Mentoring Program is once a week for 20 sessions that is facilitated by the mentors and staff. This program is group mentoring, which means that each mentor will be placed with up to 3 mentees. This program runs on Wednesdays from 6:00pm to 8:00pm. Dedication to the program is very important. Please only consider becoming a mentor if you can commit to the program for the entire year (October-June). We will also be providing training for our mentors, as well as a monthly meeting to discuss future sessions and how the program is going.
Applicants interested in becoming a mentor must sign the following agreement to:
- Make a commitment to the program (October - June)
- Attend training sessions
- Engage in the relationship with an open mind
- Be on time for scheduled meetings
- Keep discussions with youth confidential (except where youth's safety or well-being is at risk)
- Accept guidance from program staff and ask for help when needed
- Refrain from contacting or seeing the mentee outside of the established parameters and supervised sites where the program takes place