New Beginnings is a designed to equip participants with the tools to break the cycle of gender based violence (GVB) and intergenerational violence (IGV) surrounding Indigenous girls and women in northern Alberta. Participants will be engaged to see how systemic oppression persists in our society and how to advocate for change themselves, on their own terms.
Why this Program?
Girls Inc. believes that girls have the right to have confidence in themselves and be safe in the world. Girls are entitled to feel safe as they go through life, and they are entitled to be safe in their homes, schools, and communities. In Canada, girls and young women are disproportionately victims of domestic violence and rape or sexual abuse. Girls especially experience gender-based violence which, in addition to physical and sexual abuse, includes sexual harassment including partner or dating violence.
Program Objectives & Learning Outcomes
- To address influences between interpersonal and systemic violence, primarily sexism, racism and settler colonialism, through 7 Sacred Teachings in conjunction with land based learning, indigenous culture and language
- To examine the root causes and impact of violence against Indigenous women and girls through the lens of oral history ("PAST")
- To examine the mechanisms and solutions around the cycle of violence against Indigenous ("PRESENT")
- To explore ways of healing and empowering through storytelling ("FUTURE")
As a result of this program girls will have:
- An enhanced understanding of the root causes of violence and its impact on the lives of Indigenous women and girls
- Improved self-esteem, autonomy and sense of connection to the Indigenous culture, tradition and community
- Increased access to adult role-models within the Indigenous community
About Girls Inc. of Northern Alberta
Girls Inc. of Northern Alberta is a non-profit organization in Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo with a mission to inspire all girls to be strong, smart and bold. We provide girls 6 to 18 years old with the knowledge and skills needed to break free from gender stereotypes, create social change, be proud of who they are and be confident in their own skin.
New Beginnings is funded by the Regional Municipality of Wood Buffalo, Community Programs and projects.
Download a more detailed program outline >>>
If you would like more information about the New Beginnings program please use the contact form below or call 780 790 9236.