Girls Inc. Staying Strong incorporates a number of initiatives that facilitate and guide mentors to focus on their mentee’s individual needs. Healthy lifestyles, self-esteem, art, leadership and anti-violence & anti-bullying are a few of the initiatives incorporated into the program through activities that are facilitated by the mentors.
Benefits for mentors:
- Improved communication and problem solving skills
- Increased self-confidence, self-esteem, social responsibility and cultural sensitivity
- Provides volunteer experience for scholarship and employment applications
Eligibility requirements for mentors:
- 17 years old (grade 11 +)
- Agree to a one year commitment to the program
- Complete the screening process
- Agree to attend mentor training sessions
Some top qualities that make a good mentor:
- Loyal and committed
- Positive person
MENTEES! (Girls ages 7-13)
According to the Alberta Government, “Mentoring is increasingly recognized as a powerful course of action in the positive development of children and youth.”
These positives benefits are:
- Improved attitudes about staying in school
- Enhanced academic motivation and achievement
- Strengthened peer, school and family relationships
- Reduced risk of involvement in drugs and alcohol
Topics to be covered in mentoring sessions (not limited to)
- Appreciation and kindness
- Dealing with difference
- Drug and alcohol awareness
- And of course having lots of FUN
Program Length: 20 Sessions
Program Starts: October 2014 (projected start date)
Program Ends: Pending.
Location: Girls Inc. Office.
Program Available: Saturdays
For more information or to register contact us at email@example.com or 780-790-9236.